I'm not feeling it today. I heard about the extinction of experience. What will life be in the coming years? We move ploddingly towards more and more abstract forms of experience, more virtual worlds, more internet-based relationships. Even my own relationship with my wife began essentially over windows messenger, and continues via text message. Will I one day live my days entirely in one place and have the world as I know it under my fingers, glowing through a million pixels in front of me?
Is it less real than my great grandparents who, whoever they were, walked out in the open air daily? who only knew what they saw and what the newspaper and radio brought? Is my life more abstract only because my exposure is greater? Is cyber-bullying substantially different than schoolyard bullying?
Is experience less real because it happens through a computer?
No comments:
Post a Comment